Sunday, February 10, 2013

Happy New Year

So I know I'm about a month and a half too late.  No one can say 3rd semester isn't as time consuming if not more than 2nd semester.  Made it through 2nd with a few mental scars but nothing too bad.  No grey hairs yet.

This semester I'm taking, Bacteriology, Virology, Pathology, and Pharmacology.  The last two are the first in a two part series of classes.  It helps to split up some of the concepts over a 28 week period of time in this accelerated program.

Each semester is of course different but I think I finally have gotten into the balance of life on this island.  Keeping studying, sleeping, eating, and finding time to relax in equal parts has been a one of the greatest challenges outside of the actual material being covered.  Surprisingly the material isn't that bad concept-wise; there is just so much of it.  We are almost through the first half of the semester and yet I still feel like I just landed on this rock recently, even though it was almost a year ago that this happened.

As I said in my last post over 2 months ago I was going to talk about Halloween and Thanksgiving.  Of course, being a foreign country thanksgiving isn't really celebrated.  We actually had class on Thanksgiving.  However, being of the large population of U.S. expats, some of the local businesses decided to have "Thanksgiving Dinner" buffet specials.  Jess and I decided to go along with a group of about 20 students from my class to the Marriott on the island (I like to call it the "U.S. Embassy of St. Kitts")  It was such an amazing meal and the company was a nice break from studying.


You may also notice that "smudge of dirt" on my upper lip.  For the month of November our class as well as some of the other classes had all of the guys pledge to grow mustaches for Prostate Cancer awareness month (which is November).  The event is called Movember.  It was a lot of fun and we got an awesome shot of everyone in our semester on the last day before we all rushed home to shave it off.


I wish you all have had a wonderful start to a new year.  I know I have and hope the rest of the year is just as fruitful and fun.  My next post I'll let you all in on an event held at the beginning of every semester here on the island, Mr. RUSVM....


No comments:

Post a Comment